Yatri Ticket Suvidha Kendra (YTSK)Information on the YTSK scheme of the Indian Railways
What is YTSK?
YTSK or Yatri Ticket Seva Kendra is an outsourcing scheme of the Indian Railways. It allows entrepreneurs to set up ticket sale counters near railway stations and sell reserved and unreserved railway tickets. The selected Yatri Ticket Seva Kendras (operators) sell reserved rail tickets through computerised terminals.
YTSK was conceptualised and introduced with a view to expanding the facilities of both reserved and unreserved tickets. These would be beneficial for passengers as they could get the rail tickets in the market instead of going to the station.
What are the rules governing YTSK counters?
- YTSK counters can issue all Reserved and Unreserved Tickets.
- YTSK operators collect Re. 1.00 per passenger as service charge from the passengers, for unreserved tickets. This amount is included in the ticket printed by the YTSK terminal. This commission is retained by the operator as service fees for running the YTSK counter.
- YTSK counter is authorised to issue cash tickets only.
- YTSK counter can issue concessional tickets to senior citizens only.
- No cancellation/refund of ticket at YTSK counters is permitted.
- YTSK counter is not allowed to sell platform tickets.
- YTSK operators are allowed to renew season tickets. Each season ticket is to be treated as single ticket/single passenger for the purpose of levy of service charge.
What are some of the benefits extended by the Railways to YTSK operators?
- For sale of unreserved rail tickets, the YTSK operator will be given service charges at the rate of Re 1 per unreserved passenger.
- YTSK operators may be permitted to operate an additional counter provided the sale of tickets is more than 800 per day on each counter for at least one month.
- JTBS operators may be allowed to shift from the original location to a new location to increase sale of tickets.
- In the appointment of JTBS, adequate representation is given to the people belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, Other Backward Class, minorities, freedom fighter/women/ widow of martyrs/ widow of railway employees.
- The present tenure of contract of 2 years is enhanced to 3 years renewable by tenure of three years subject to satisfactory performance of the JTBS operator and if one abides by all other terms and conditions prevailing at the time of renewal.
- Service charges to be realized by JTBS shall be Re. 1.00 per passenger instead of Re. 1.00 per ticket.
What role does Thinvent play in JTBS?
Thinvent has developed a dumb terminal product that is 100% compatible with the Unreserved Ticketing System of the Indian Railways. Developed in cooperation with CRIS, an Indian Railways body, this product is successfully running across multiple Railways zones and JTBS counters.
Thinvent provides JTBS operators with a turnkey technology solution, including terminal, printer, modem and terminal server.
What equiment is needed for JTBS?
To run a JTBS counter, you need the following equipment:
- JTBS compatible dumb terminal. The terminal should come with compatible monitor and keyboard.
- Ticket printer.
- Modem on counter end.
- Modem on Railways end.
- Optionally, you may be required to purchase a terminal server on the Railways end.
More Information on JTBS
For more information on JTBS, please visit the following pages: